Clothes You Never Wear
One of the consistent themes of the Princesses I’ve been working with is their proclivity for buying clothes they don’t wear. Some people have stuff hanging in their closets with the tags still on. Others have 37 pairs of jeans. This might save on laundry, but it does nothing for your budget!
If you have a closet full of stuff you don’t wear it may be that you’re buying too much or the wrong stuff. After all, that gorgeous dress may have made you look like a million bucks, but if you’ve only worn it twice it may not have been the best idea.
Consider using the 70/30 rule when it comes to having a wardrobe that will work: 70% of your clothes should be your main course clothing, leaving the other 30% for dessert. Lots of people have the proportions backwards and end up always complaining, “I don’t have a thing to wear!”
Your first step will be to inventory what you have. Make four piles:
- stuff you’re going to throw out
- stuff in good enough shape to give away
- stuff you love that needs to be fixed
- stuff you’re going to keep.
Of the stuff you’re going to keep, make sure the 70/30 rule applies. If you have way more fluff than solid pieces you’ll wear regularly, you’ll have to rebalance your wardrobe. Start by writing a list of all the pieces you have that still work. On a separate page, make a list of the pieces you may need to acquire to really make your new, streamlined wardrobe sing.
Since your lifestyle dictates your clothing needs, don’t fall into the trap of buying lots of pieces that you wish you could wear. I’ve worked with more than a few people who have loads of evening attire and a handful of work clothes. As you shop ask yourself, “Would I wear this today?” and “What do I have in my closet that will work with this?”
If the outfit, shoe or accessory you’re salivating over will only work on specific occasions, reconsider. You’re way better off with pieces you can dress up or down because those pieces will get far more wear and you’ll get your money’s worth.
Stick with pieces that reflect your personal style. If you like soft and flowing fabrics and cuts, don’t get suckered into a boxy suit just because “it’s a good staple.” When I was out shopping for yoga pants (because I love how they fit and they can be worn just about anywhere), I came face to face with a lot of materials and cuts that didn’t suit my style. I’m a cotton girl, and I love a loose cut. So I kept looking until I found exactly what I wanted.
Speaking of fit and fabric, if you find you have a lot something, but wear only a few of them – so you have a dozen pairs of jeans but live you’re your favorite two pairs – take a hint. While you might have been attracted to a different cut if you ended up not wearing it because it was uncomfortable or “just not your style” learn your lesson. It’s better to have two or three pieces you can live in than dozens of things that just hang in the closet or live in the drawer.
Speaking of living in a drawer, when I find I put something on that no longer makes me feel good, I stick it in a drawer (or a pile on a shelf) and wait to see if I ever go back to it. If I don’t, then it’s gone. How long do I wait? Usually about six months to a year depending on how seasonal it is.
The perfect pants don’t have to have a designer label to be fashionable. In fact, the less money you have, the stronger your sense of style must be because you have to develop the knack of making things work together. And for heaven’s sake, if you buy something and then decide it really isn’t you, don’t hang it in your closet; take it back right away!
You should be working to fill your closet with stuff you look and feel great in – stuff you get lots of wear from — than to own a ton of so-so clothes that you only sort of like.
So, do you have clothes you never wear? What tips do you have for streamlining your closet? What’s your favorite staple? Accessory?